One arrest, another suspect sought in pursuit that triggered Del Tech lock-down

GEORGETOWN – Authorities Friday arrested one Laurel man and are seeking a second suspect following a pursuit through the Georgetown area that put Delaware Technical Community College’s Owens Campus on lock-down.

Shaylan Hunt

Nevell Jones

The Delaware State Police Sussex County Governor’s Task Force personnel arrested 24-year-old Shaylan Hunt, 24, of Laurel and have warrants on file for Nevell L. Jones, state police spokesman Master Cpl. Melissa Jaffe said.

The incident began around 2:04 p.m. Nov. 3 as members of the GTF unit attempted to conduct a traffic stop on a silver Hyundai Sonata on County Seat Highway east of Hardscrabble Road for a cell phone violation.

Ignoring the detective’s loud-speaker instructions to pull the Sonata safely ahead of a guard rail and off the shoulder of the roadway, the driver pulled back onto County Seat Highway and fled the scene.

Multiple GTF units joined the pursuit but sight of the vehicle was lost in the area of Asbury Road west of Georgetown.

GTF units were assisted by the Sussex County Drug unit, Georgetown Police Department, Troop 4 patrol units and Probation & Parole in a search for the suspect vehicle.

A short time later, Georgetown police officers located the suspect vehicle, unoccupied in a parking lot at Del Tech’s Owens Campus on SR 404.

The passenger, later identified as 24-year-old Shaylan Hunt of Laurel, was observed standing between buildings on the Delaware Tech campus talking on his cell phone. Officers took him into custody without further incident. Hunt was found to be in possession of approximately 0.35 grams of cocaine and 2.37 grams of marijuana, Cpl. Jaffe said.

Delaware Tech campus security put the campus on lock-down as a precautionary measure while officers searched the area for the operator, later identified as Nevell L. Jones, 20, of Laurel.

Hunt was transported back to Troop 4 in Georgetown. He was charged with resisting arrest, possession of cocaine and possession of marijuana. Hunt was arraigned at Justice of the Justice of Peace Court No. 2 and released on $750 unsecured bond.

Active warrants are currently on file for the arrest of Nevell L. Jones. Charges include disregarding a police officer signal and resisting arrest.

Anyone with information on Nevell Jones’ whereabouts is asked to contact Detective S. Callaway at 752-3826. Information may also be provided by calling Delaware Crime Stoppers at 1-800-TIP-3333, via the internet at

DTTC spokesman Jason Burlew said the lock-down was initiated at about 2:30 p.m. At that time proper procedures were enacted by Del Tech’s Campus Public Safety and a lock-down of all buildings was put into effect.

“All staff and students followed protocol and remained in place and away from windows. During this time, Campus Public Safety and the Delaware State Police conducted a search of all buildings,” said Mr. Burlew.

An all-clear was given at approximately 3:30 p.m. and the lock-down was lifted.

You are encouraged to leave relevant comments but engaging in personal attacks, threats, online bullying or commercial spam will not be allowed. All comments should remain within the bounds of fair play and civility. (You can disagree with others courteously, without being disagreeable.) Feel free to express yourself but keep an open mind toward finding value in what others say. To report abuse or spam, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box.