Minor fire damage at Polo Ralph Lauren in Midway Outlets

LEWES – Fire at the Midway Outlets early Thursday morning caused minor damage to the Polo Ralph Lauren business.

Chief Deputy State Fire Marshall Harry Miller said the fire was reported shortly after 4 a.m.

Firefighters from Lewes responded to the automatic fire alarm and found smoke in the retail establishment on Midway Outlet Drive. Lewes was backed by fire personnel from Rehoboth Beach and Indian River Volunteer Fire Companies.

Mr. Miller said the store’s sprinkler system had activated which kept the flames under control. The fire was quickly extinguished upon firefighters’ arrival.

State Fire Marshal’s Office investigators determined blaze occurred when a malfunction in a fluorescent light fixture ignited nearby combustible materials.  Fire loss was estimated at $5,000.

You are encouraged to leave relevant comments but engaging in personal attacks, threats, online bullying or commercial spam will not be allowed. All comments should remain within the bounds of fair play and civility. (You can disagree with others courteously, without being disagreeable.) Feel free to express yourself but keep an open mind toward finding value in what others say. To report abuse or spam, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box.