Harbeson couple arrested in death of infant

HARBESON – Delaware State Police Homicide detectives Friday morning announced the arrest of the mother and father of an infant that died as a result of injuries it sustained while in their care.

On Thursday, Dec. 10, after reviewing the case with the Delaware Attorney General’s Office, detectives obtained warrants for Doyle J. Hundley Jr., 37, and Casey R. Layton, 28.

Casey R. Layton

Casey R. Layton

They were taken into custody at their Harbeson home and taken to Troop 4 in Georgetown where both were charged with murder by abuse first degree and endangering the welfare of a child knowingly act in a manner likely to injure thus causing death, a felony, according to state police spokesman Cpl. Gary Fournier.

They were arraigned and placed in the custody of the Delaware Department of Corrections on $106,000 cash only for both.

State police investigation began May 23, 2015 after a 9-1-1 call was made from the residence in the 18000 block of Harbeson Road by the father reporting that his 3-month-old son was suffering from a seizure and was barely responsive.

Paramedics and Emergency Medical Services responded and transported the infant to Beebe Healthcare in Lewes. From there, the male infant was flown to A.I. DuPont Children’s Hospital and admitted in critical condition with multiple broken bones and a serious head injury.

Doyle J. Hundley Jr.

Doyle J. Hundley Jr.

After remaining on life support measures for five months, Aiden R. Hundley died Sept. 22, 2015 at the age of eight months, Cpl. Fournier said.

An autopsy conducted by the Delaware Division of Forensic Science ruled the death a homicide due to blunt force trauma to the head, Cpl. Fournier said.

Further investigation revealed Aiden suffered numerous injuries that occurred over the two months he was in the care of his parents. The parents could “offer no plausible explanation for these injuries and they were the sole caregivers for Aiden,” and the injuries were “so severe that they would have been obvious to any caretaker,” Cpl. Fournier said.

The couple’s 2 ½-year-old son has been placed in the care of the Delaware Department of Services for Children, Youth and their Families and does not appear to have been harmed, Cpl. Fournier said.

The Sussex County Post delivers news from Georgetown and southern Delaware. Follow @SussexPost on Twitter.

You are encouraged to leave relevant comments but engaging in personal attacks, threats, online bullying or commercial spam will not be allowed. All comments should remain within the bounds of fair play and civility. (You can disagree with others courteously, without being disagreeable.) Feel free to express yourself but keep an open mind toward finding value in what others say. To report abuse or spam, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box.