Georgetown: Two critically injured in travel trailer fire

GEORGETOWN – Two people were critically injured early Saturday morning in a travel trailer fire in Georgetown.

The blaze occurred at about 4 a.m. in the unit block of Douglas Street, according to Assistant State Fire Marshal Michael G. Chionchio.

A 66-year-old woman and a 49-year-old man sustained second-degree burns to 25 percent of their bodies, Mr. Chionchio said.  Both victims were taken to Milford Memorial Hospital and transferred to the Crozer Burn Center in Upland, PA. Both were listed in critical condition.

The Georgetown Fire Company responded to the fire.

The Delaware Office of the State Fire Marshal determined the fire was accidental. Investigation revealed the fire originated on the stove top and erupted when cooking materials ignited on top of the stove.

Heavy fire damage was estimated at $20,000.

A passenger vehicle parked next to the trailer was also burned.  There were no smoke alarms present, Mr. Chionchio said.

You are encouraged to leave relevant comments but engaging in personal attacks, threats, online bullying or commercial spam will not be allowed. All comments should remain within the bounds of fair play and civility. (You can disagree with others courteously, without being disagreeable.) Feel free to express yourself but keep an open mind toward finding value in what others say. To report abuse or spam, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box.