Georgetown man faces DUI, other charges in fatal crash

GEORGETOWN – One man is dead, and another apprehended and jailed on DUI and other charges following a multi-vehicle crash Friday evening west of Georgetown.

John H. Scott Jr., 48, of Georgetown was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash that occurred shortly after 6 p.m. Nov. 3 at the intersection of Warrington Road and County Seat Highway, Delaware State Police spokesman Sgt. Richard Bratz said.

Vehicles involved were a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 series pickup truck operated by Mr. Scott, a 2000 Volkswagen Beetle driven by Jesser Figueroa, 50, of Georgetown and a 2013 Ram 3500 series pickup truck operated by Ruben Lourenco, 62, of Ellendale.

Figueroa, who fled the scene of the crash, was located by aerial surveillance a short time later. He was charged with vehicular homicide 2nd degree, vehicular assault 2nd degree, driving under the influence of alcohol, leaving the scene of a fatal motor vehicle collision, driving without a valid license, failure to report and failure to stop at a stop sign.

Figueroa was arraigned at Justice of the Peace Court 3 and committed to the Sussex Correctional Institution in default of a $18,300 cash bond, Sgt. Bratz said.

Preliminary investigation revealed Figueroa was southbound on Warrington Road approaching the intersection of County Seat Highway. Mr. Scott Jr. and Mr. Lourenco were both westbound on County Seat Highway approaching the same intersection.

For unknown reasons, the Volkswagen Beetle failed to stop at the stop sign and continued into the intersection directly into the path of the Silverado. In attempt to avoid the collision, Mr. Scott swerved to the left, but the front of the Volkswagen struck the right side of his vehicle.

That caused the Silverado to rotate counter-clockwise, directly in the path of the Ram truck, which struck the right side of the Silverado directly in the passenger side door, Sgt. Bratz said.

After the collision, the Volkswagen Beetle stopped in the middle of the roadway. Figueroa exited and fled on foot. He was later located by the Delaware State Police helicopter hiding in a ditch several hundred yards from the collision and taken into custody without incident.

Mr. Lourenco, who was properly restrained, was transported by EMS to the Beebe Medical Center and admitted with minor injuries.

The Delaware State Police Collision Reconstruction Unit is continuing the crash investigation. County Seat Highway was closed for approximately 4 ½ hours while the crash was investigated and cleared.

You are encouraged to leave relevant comments but engaging in personal attacks, threats, online bullying or commercial spam will not be allowed. All comments should remain within the bounds of fair play and civility. (You can disagree with others courteously, without being disagreeable.) Feel free to express yourself but keep an open mind toward finding value in what others say. To report abuse or spam, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box.