Soldering sparks ceiling fire at Georgetown KFC/Taco Bell

GEORGETOWN – The Delaware Office of the State Fire Marshal has determined that a fire Tuesday night inside the Kentucky Fried Chicken/Taco Bell restaurant in Georgetown was accidental.

According to Assistant State Fire Marshal Michael G. Chionchio, the blaze occurred shortly after 7 p.m., July 31 at the restaurant located at 400 North DuPont Highway.

Georgetown Fire Company responded to the fire.  The restaurant was open when the fire erupted.

State fire investigators determined the fire originated inside the ceiling area of the building when insulation was accidentally ignited while a maintenance worker was soldering a pipe, said Mr. Chionchio.

The fire burned inside the ceiling until firefighters extinguished the flames.

Fire damage was estimated at $10,000.  The maintenance worker suffered minor burns to his hands but refused transportation to a hospital, said Mr. Chionchio.

You are encouraged to leave relevant comments but engaging in personal attacks, threats, online bullying or commercial spam will not be allowed. All comments should remain within the bounds of fair play and civility. (You can disagree with others courteously, without being disagreeable.) Feel free to express yourself but keep an open mind toward finding value in what others say. To report abuse or spam, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box.